Thursday, December 8, 2016

A Tale of Two Cycle Karts

Steel Version 2013
Current Status 2016

I was at this point in a build before when I decided to fine tune things and make it run as good as possible before 'shelling' with a body. The top image is of the Rotten Tuna which was supposed to be wrapped in a Mercedes Grand-Prix shell, but then along the way I realized that it wasn't what I wanted.

The second image shows where I am today - much lighter, much more stable, and a margin of reliability better. Along the way I learned that the standard fabrication techniques that most cycle-kart builders rely on are advanced for mere mortals. In other words the new design applies the idea of using found objects to a greater degree. The one key item that is different here is the front axle. Doing a front axle in aluminum took some special fabricating techniques that I'm not ashamed to admit were above my skill level.

No comments:

Post a Comment